2005-02-19

I'm sure you're all familiar with the tickers at the bottom of the screen on most sports stations....the ones that show you a few words at a time instead of scrolling them across, and drive you insane waiting for the next part of the sentence? Well, I'm out at the bar last night, and one of said stations are showing on the big-screen TV. So I look up and see:

The Hockey News reports that...

Which keeps me paying attention. Then, I start to get excited when it says:

...the NHL and NHLPA have agreed to a deal...

At this point I've thrown up my arms and am staring triumphantly at the television.

...that would see hockey played in the 2004-05 season.

By now, my friends - and several other people who think I'm either drunk or insane - are looking at the TV as well, to try and figure out what I'm so ecstatic about. Then up pops:

The NHLPA denies the report.

I know, I know; I'm a sucker for repeatedly getting my hopes up. But the fact remains that at this moment, the NHL and NHLPA are at a meeting in New York City to try and hammer out a deal. That's worth raising my hopes just a little bit, I think, and I've crossed every appendage I can in a bid for a little more luck. You should too!


Also, on the "Talk About Timing!" front, it looks like that quote from The Tragically Hip (see Feb.16 post) was a lot more topical than I intended. Frontman Gord Downie is auditioning to play goalie Ken Dryden in a television miniseries about the 1972 Summit Series, where Dryden of course played for Team Canada, sharing the goaltending duties with fellow future Hall-of-Famer Tony Esposito. Tryouts are being conducted in Fredericton, New Brunswick, and whether Downie makes the cut or not, looks like it should be an interesting production.

No comments: