2006-06-10

The Oilers lead Game 3 1-0, after the first period has drawn to a close. If Jussi Markkanen can pull out some big saves for Edmonton, they can still win this series, but it's going to be much tougher without Dwayne Roloson around.

As much as I like the Oilers, I think I might love their fans even more. Again tonight, they cheered "The Star Spangled Banner" (though there was a slight smattering of boos to be heard just before the cheering drowned it out), and then sang "O Canada" as loudly as I've ever heard it. Singer Paul Lorieau actually stopped singing into the microphone halfway through, holding it above his head instead so that the crowd would take over. And they did. I got chills, and many of the Oiler players have said they experience the same when their hometown crowd does that. Just a great bunch of hockey fans out there in Edmonton, loyal, spirited, and deserving of a Stanley Cup. Here's hoping.

No comments: